Business podcasts are a great way to get some insightful career advice and get an understanding of the general market trends and happenings in a relatively short period of time without adding to screen time. This situation is common for individual students pursuing their Master of Business Administration (MBA) degree, particularly those who consistently grapple with time constraints and often experience exhaustion from prolonged screen exposure. This holds even greater significance for MBA students engaged in remote learning, as traditional in-person classroom debates and collaborative idea sessions are typically absent from programs. In the contemporary landscape of distance MBA education, numerous courses have integrated podcasts as valuable notes for dispensing valuable insights and directives to students undertaking management studies. Now, let's delve into the realm of the most impactful educational podcasts — a collection of the top eight that every distance MBA student should undoubtedly include in their regimen!
1. HBR IdeaCast - This weekly podcast from Harvard Business Review is a 15-minute conversation wherein a business expert is interviewed- be it new entreats, researchers or journalists, and CEOs. Some of the latest guests were Drew Gilpin Faust, the president of Harvard University, and Dominic Barton, the global managing partner of McKinsey & Company. The idea of the podcast is to bring print to life, for those who have not subscribed to their journal.
2. TED Talks Business - From the acclaimed TED Talk series, this show features stories from innovators, business researchers, and entrepreneurs, subject matter experts, from all around the world with multi-languages. The content is as varied as the speakers, ranging from burning issues like women abuse in the workplace in the wake of the #MeToo movement or discussing diversity in the workplace. For each and every student, gaining insight into ongoing occurrences within the corporate world is highly advantageous.
3. The $100 MBA Show - Up your knowledge quotient with this short and information-loaded podcast especially for MBA students. A daily show hosted by Omar Zenhom talks about student-centric topics related to the business world and is often joined by industry experts who share their work experiences and give tips on how to handle work and life. This show prides itself in sharing ‘no-fluff’ business lessons in tech, entrepreneurship, and marketing.
4. Knoweldge@Wharton - A podcast started by the Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania is basically an online business analysis journal that features top-level CEOs, industry commentators, and Wharton faculty, discussing topics ranging from politics, technology, and business ethics.
5. The McKinsey Podcast - Everyone wants to be a part of McKinsey, the global management consulting firm, and what better way of knowing more about this wonderful organization than from its very own podcast. If you are considering stepping into the consultancy industry post your MBA, then this should be on your must-listen list as it gives a good insight into the working of the consultancy arm of the business. It also hosts business experts talking about pressing issues in the business and management world.
6. StartUp - If you are interested in starting your own business after an MBA but are unsure of the workings of the business, then this podcast is where you start from scratch. Converting your entrepreneurial dream into a reality will never be easier with valuable insights from successful startup entrepreneurs, their stories from struggle to finish, and tips to make it big in the world of business. Season one takes you through StartUp founder Alex Blumberg’s journey to launch the collective behind the podcast (Gimlet) while in season two, you can listen to the story of the dating site, Dating Ring. In the latest episode, the founders of the podcast share their stories and the roadblocks to success.
7. Entrepreneurial Thought Leaders - This one-hour-long podcast is a Stanford University initiative, wherein business experts share their experiences and expertise in building business empires- the setbacks, the pitfalls as well as important tips, logical tricks, and lessons learned along the way. It is a great podcast for MBA students as it gives them an understanding of the real business world with guests from a diverse range of businesses coming in with some interesting and intriguing stories.
8. The Tim Ferriss Show - One of the best business podcasts on iTunes today's world, it invites business people who are at the top of their game to speak about their business journey to reach the helm. They invite people from a unique mix of business verticals from LinkedIn founder Reid Hoffman to actor Edward Norton. The host Tim Ferriss, the author of 4-Hour Workweek and other bestsellers, makes the listeners understand the smaller nuances of work life to help them succeed.
Just sit back calmly and listen to these inspiring and engaging podcasts and get yourself some on-the-go business Gyan!